JUUL Tips: Make the JUUL Hit Harder
You’ve got a long night ahead.
You procrastinated, and now have to complete a BIG project TONIGHT.
Working diligently, you didn’t even realize you were chiefing on your JUUL like a fiend. Suddenly, your concentration is broken as you notice that your puffs have stopped hitting as hard. There’s no satisfying throat hit and the clouds of vapor are barely visible.
“Must need a new pod.” you think to yourself.
Looking down, you realize that the current pod is not empty and that the battery itself is fully charged.
If you’ve ever had an experience similar to this, in which your JUUL pods suddenly cease producing consistent hits, then I’ve got a few tips you can try out to make the JUUL hit harder again.
That way you can continue vaping without the worry that your next hit might not be quite as satisfying as the last.
Cause and Prevention
The primary cause of this condition is hitting the JUUL too frequently.
This results in the wicks attached to the coil in each pod becoming desaturated; they just haven’t been given enough time to re-absorb the e-juice. You can see the wicks highlighted in the photo below:
Another possible yet less likely cause of this circumstance could be carrying the JUUL upside down in the pocket, resulting in the juice flowing to the top of the pod and away from the wicks.
Using these observations we have created the following risk profile for this affliction.
- Users who are at higher risk: Take hits from their JUUL frequently, increasing the likelihood of wick desaturation and requiring them to take a break or apply one of the treatments outlined in this post. These users often go through at least one JUUL pod a day.
- Users who are at lower risk: Take less frequent hits, usually reducing their usage to only a few puffs per vaping session. The above group differs from this behavior in the way that they don’t have specific “vaping sessions”. Instead, they take hits throughout the day whenever they feel the time is right, resulting in many more puffs than this lower risk group.
Currently, the only way to prevent this condition is by taking less frequent hits.
This will prove difficult for those users in the high-risk group, as they have formed habits around hitting their JUUL impulsively and will likely struggle with the reduced quantity of nicotine being consumed.
This section is meant to help you determine whether or not your JUUL is eligible to receive these treatments. Sometimes inconsistent puffs are not caused by desaturated wicks.
In this post, we’ll be focusing on the desaturation fixes. (Category 2 below) If you fall into Category 1, you’ll be able to find your solution in an alternative post.
Category 1: Battery Issues
These issues are determined by watching the activation light on the JUUL while hitting. If your inconsistent hits are a result of stuttering activation (the activation light flickering randomly while hitting) then you are most likely experiencing one of the two following conditions:
- Your battery is very low and about to die. Sometimes our JUULs seem to try and push on a little further than they should to deliver a few more hits before needing to rest and recharge.
- Your pod may have slightly leaked some juice from the bottom. This moisture causes the pod’s connection to the battery to be obscured. If this is your problem, you can find a solution here.
Category 2: Desaturated Wick
Checking for the following symptoms should determine if you are experiencing a desaturated wick issue:
- The Activation light remains on while hitting but there is no crackling sound of juice being vaporized.
- The activation light remains on while hitting but the vapor is thin and light providing a minimal or non-existent throat hit.
- There is a visual buildup of air bubbles around the wicks. This often happens after multiple consecutive hits because the JUUL juice is vaporized quickly, creating air bubbles.
If you find yourself falling into category 2 above, then read on to discover the quick and simple fixes to this problem.
Being a “chain vaper” myself, I use these techniques regularly throughout the day with great results.
Although the following procedures are not a one-time fix, they will provide temporary relief of the symptoms and can be repeated as many times as necessary with minimal negative side effects.
There are a few ways to approach this issue, and I will list and describe them each here:
1. Hit the JUUL less frequently.
I know I know, not what you wanted to hear, but I had to include this solution to be thorough, as it does solve the issue.
If you find your wick is desaturated, you could use this as a sign that maybe you should take a break. Ceasing vaping for even just a few minutes can be enough time to allow the wicks to naturally re-saturate.
2. The Squeeze
This is my personal favorite, and I have been using it daily for months to forcibly re-saturate those wicks.
It is very simple and involves placing the thumb and forefinger on either side of the black mouthpiece of the JUUL pod in question and giving a gentle squeeze. This pushes the juice in the pod downwards toward the wicks and forces them to become saturated almost instantly.
Squeeze until hearing a slight “spongy” noise. This noise is caused by the wicks soaking up the juice, signaling that the procedure has been completed and vaping can resume.
The following video shows the proper technique when performing The Squeeze. If you turn the volume up and listen closely you can also hear the spongy noise of the wicks absorbing the juice.
3. The Shake
Sometimes The Squeeze technique described above doesn’t quite get the job done. This is usually because of the air bubble issue, where squeezing the pods isn’t enough to allow those bubbles to float to the surface.
If this is the case remove your JUUL pod and grip it in a similar way that you did while performing The Squeeze; by the black mouthpiece. Next, check your pod for air bubbles near the wicks.
If bubbles are present begin to flick your wrist downwards and away from yourself in a quick arcing motion. Imagine you are trying to get the last bit of ketchup from the bottom of the bottle to the top. The wrist motion is also similar to that of packing a can of dip.
The idea here is that we are using gravity and the centrifugal force of flicking the wrist to force the JUUL juice down to the wicks while pushing the air bubbles up and away.
It doesn’t take much to remove the bubbles, 2-3 shakes should be more than enough. Often times this technique not only removes the bubbles but also re-saturates the wicks.
If you have removed the bubbles using “The Shake” and are still experiencing inconsistent puffs then you can now attempt “The Squeeze” again and you should be fully re-saturated.
Just be sure not to squeeze TOO hard or TOO many times, or you could experience the one possible negative outcome of these treatments.
Concerns and Considerations
There’s only one real potential downside to these treatments. It comes from The Squeeze method and involves accidentally OVER-saturating the wicks.
This happens from either squeezing the pod too hard or too many times.
The Grimey Gurgle
This condition is identified by listening for a very specific auditory indicator upon hitting the JUUL after performing The Squeeze:
- If you hear the familiar crackling sound: then you HAVE NOT over-saturated your JUUL and can continue vaping normally
- If you hear a low pitched bubbling or gurgling sound: then you HAVE over-saturated your JUUL and must proceed with caution. There is a decent chance that you will get some JUUL juice spit back into your mouth or on your lips if continuing to vape normally.
Here’s a sounds file of that gurgling/bubbling sound to watch out for.
If you’ve been vaping for any amount of time, then you’ll probably know that vape juice splattering into your mouth is one of the worst experiences us vapers can have. It tastes awful and burns the skin (especially with the high nicotine percentage of JUUL juice).
If you find you have over-saturated your wicks carry out the following steps:
- Hit the JUUL, but pull air through the JUUL VERY SLOWLY. Hitting the JUUL in this way will reduce chances of spit back.
- Continue gently pulling in this way until juice is cleared from the vapor tube and the low bubbling sound turns back into that familiar crackling.
If you follow these steps you should be able to avoid any unnecessary leakage.
Over time you will get the feel for how hard to squeeze. The biggest indicator to stop squeezing is hearing the “spongy” absorption sound described earlier.
Not All Pods are Created Equal
If you find that after trying “The Squeeze and Shake” methods above (and have determined it not to be a battery connection issue) you are still getting inconsistent puffs, then it may be out of our hands.
I’ve found that due to genetic variation, not all JUUL Pods are created equal and sometimes, for whatever reason, the Squeeze and Shake seem to just be ineffective.
Research has not yet uncovered the mechanism behind these variations, so if we’re still having problems after trying all the tips mentioned above then it’s most likely a pod issue, and there isn’t much we can do other than the first treatment option listed above: taking a break and allowing the wicks to naturally re-saturate.
Limber Pods = Happy Pods
Keeping your pods limber and in shape using the Squeeze and Shake exercises can save us from having an inconsistent vaping experience.
Think of it like this: If we remain in a sedentary position for long periods of time (as I have been for the past two hours writing this post) the body’s muscles stiffen and it becomes more difficult to move. We must get up and perform stretches to stay functioning at maximum capacity.
Applying the Squeeze and Shake “stretches” on our JUUL pods keeps them working efficiently for the remainder of their lifespan.
Let me know how the Squeeze and Shake methods work out for you in the comments below!
And if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask away.
Here at the JUUL Doc Clinic, we are always looking for new ways to improve our JUULing experience. If you have any tactics that we haven’t thought of yet you’re in a great position to contribute to the commonwealth of Juul knowledge.
Your idea could change the way we use our JUULs forever.
Have a great day dear JUULers, we’ll see you soon!